Where can i walk my dog in Dorset?
To help your plan your pet friendly adventure in Dorset, we have put together a list of walks that are very suitable for dogs.
1-5: Coastal Capers
- Jurassic Coast Path (Lulworth Cove to Durdle Door): Pet-friendly paths allow dogs to explore the iconic Jurassic Coast alongside their owners. Pets are welcome, but please keep them on a leash, especially in areas with livestock or wildlife.
- Charmouth to Lyme Regis: The beach walk is pet-friendly, providing ample space for dogs to enjoy the coastal scenery and fossil-rich shores. Dogs are allowed, but should be kept on a lead, and there are dog waste bins along the route.
- Studland Bay Nature Reserve: Designated pet-friendly areas within the nature reserve ensure dogs can roam freely and enjoy the heathland and sandy shores. Dogs are welcome in designated areas. Check the National Trust website for specific details.
- Ringstead Bay Circular Walk: The circular coastal route includes pet-friendly paths, allowing dogs to experience the beauty of Ringstead Bay.
- Portland Bill Circular Walk: Dogs are welcome to explore the rugged beauty of Portland Bill, making it a pet-friendly coastal adventure. Dogs are allowed, but it’s advised to keep them on a lead, especially around the lighthouse.
6-10: Woodland Wonders
- Wareham Forest: Well-marked trails make Wareham Forest a pet-friendly woodland destination where dogs can roam freely.
- Thorncombe Woods (Hardy’s Cottage to Thorncombe Beacon): Dogs are welcome to explore the scenic woodland and heathland paths associated with Thomas Hardy’s Wessex.
- Badbury Rings Circular Walk: A historical walk around Badbury Rings with pet-friendly trails, allowing dogs to enjoy the woodlands and historic site. Dogs should be kept on a lead when livestock is grazing. There is a car park on site.
- Hengistbury Head Coastal Reserve: Dogs are allowed on the varied coastal and woodland paths, providing a diverse and pet-friendly walking experience. Dogs should be kept on a lead in bird nesting season.
- Hawkchurch Woods: A tranquil woodland walk where dogs can enjoy the peaceful surroundings, making it a pet-friendly destination.
11-15: Countryside Capades
- Cerne Abbas Giant Circular Walk: Explore the countryside surrounding the famous Cerne Abbas Giant, with rolling hills and scenic vistas.
- Milton Abbas Circular Walk: The charming village walk is pet-friendly, providing a picturesque countryside experience for dogs and their owners.
- Toller Porcorum to Powerstock Circular Walk: Dogs are welcome on this countryside walk through the idyllic villages of Toller Porcorum and Powerstock.
- Piddle Valley Circular Walk: Meander through the peaceful Piddle Valley, a pet-friendly experience for dogs and their owners.
- Lyscombe and Chaldon Herring Circular Walk: Enjoy the tranquility of the Lyscombe and Chaldon Herring countryside on this circular walk.
16-20: River Ramblings
- Sturminster Newton to Hinton St Mary Riverside Walk: A riverside stroll along the River Stour, providing a pet-friendly route with scenic views.
- Sherborne to Castleton Circular Walk: This riverside walk along the River Yeo is pet-friendly, allowing dogs to enjoy the peaceful surroundings.
- Abbotsbury to West Bexington Coastal Walk: The scenic walk from Abbotsbury to West Bexington is pet-friendly, providing a coastal and river-themed experience.
- Beaminster to Netherbury Circular Walk: A river-themed walk through charming villages is pet-friendly, allowing dogs to explore the countryside.
- River Frome Circular Walk (Moreton to Wool): Dogs are welcome to explore the River Frome and its surroundings on this circular walk, making it a pet-friendly river ramble.
Pet-Friendly Tips for a Pawsome Experience:
- Always check local regulations and guidelines for pet-friendly areas.
- Carry essentials such as water, snacks, and waste bags for your furry friend.
- Respect wildlife and other walkers to ensure a harmonious experience for everyone.